- SAS is stretching the legs of its new Airbus A321LRs by adding Toronto to its map. The Star Alliance carrier will open flights between Toronto Pearson and Copenhagen thrice weekly, and Stockholm four-times weekly with the 157-seat jet from June. SAS will set a start date for the new routes once it has secured the necessary regulatory approvals.
- Aeromexico lands at Mexico City’s new secondary airport, Felipe Angeles International Airport, in April. The carrier will connect the airport, which is about 31 miles northeast of Mexico City International Airport, with Merida and Villahermosa daily from April. Aeromexico joins Viva Aerobus and Volaris at Felipe Angeles, which opens in March.
- WestJet budget subsidiary Swoop is adding five new destinations and 11 routes to its map this summer. The airline will land in the Atlantic Canada cities of Deer Lake, Charlottetown, Moncton, St. Johns, and St. John in May and June. The airline will offer 10 new routes from the cities to Edmonton, Hamilton, Ontario, and Toronto Pearson, as well as between Halifax and Ottawa. The expansion is possible with the addition of six Boeing 737 Maxes (see Fleet) to Swoop’s fleet.
- Romanian discounter Blue Air will add two routes to Greece this summer. The airline will connect its Bucharest base with Kefalonia and Levkada from June. Blue Air cites “strong demand” among leisure travelers for the additions.
- Staying in Europe, Norwegian budget startup Flyr is adding another international dot to its map: Stockholm. The airline will launch four-times weekly service between its Oslo base and Stockholm Arlanda on April 7 with a Boeing 737-8. Service will expand to daily this summer.
- And speaking of Greece, Sky Express has joined EasyJet‘s Worldwide by EasyJet booking engine that allows travelers to book connecting itineraries between the two carriers. The tie up covers Sky’s domestic flights in Greece to more than 20 destinations, which deepens EasyJet’s reach in a country popular with leisure travelers. Connections are possible over Athens and 10 other Greek airports.
February 14th, 2022 at 12:01 AM EST